Articles with Advice
- A Trauma-Informed Approach to Teaching Through Coronavirus, Teaching Tolerance
- What Can Help with PBL Distance Learning, Carmel Schettino
- High-level Research-based Recommendations for Online Learning, David Wees
- Humanizing Online Teaching, Drs. Mary Raygoza, Raina León, and Aaminah Norris
- Tips for Using Videos to Teach Math Remotely, Flipped Mathematics Study
- Please Do a Bad Job of Putting Your Courses Online, Rebecca Barrett-Fox
- 10 Strategies for Online Learning during a Coronavirus Outbreak, ISTE
- Going Online in a Hurry: What to Do and Where to Start, The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Best Practices for Remote Teaching, Dr. Maria Andersen
- Education Companies Offering Free Subscriptions due to School Closings
- Online Teaching Support Group, Mike Flynn
- School’s Closed, Help?, Tina Cardone
Quick Start Guides, Plans, and Repositories
- Math Remote Learning Options, Leeanne Branham
- Infographics, Hong Kong Academy
- Resources for Remote Instruction, Pedro Morales-Almazan
- Special Topic – Support for Instructional Continuity, AMTE Online Mathematics Teacher Education Task Force
- Strategies for Remote Learning, smore.com
- Flexible Plan for Instructional Continuity, Sacred Heart Schools
- Digital Learning Plan Toolkit, Classlink
- Online Classroom Quickstart Guide, LCUSD
- Math Resources for Remote Learning, Orange Schools
- Ten Days of K-5 Plans, SFSUD
- Middle Grades Statistics Resources, Joel Bezaire
- Geogebra Resources for Differentiated Discovery Learning, Tim Brzezinski
- Desmos Classroom Activities, Desmos
Community-favorite channels for video instruction (mostly high school content)
Top 5 Resources for Learning Online
Free, standards-aligned resources to facilitate remote learning
Previously posted resources on the Iowa Department of Education Website.
- Resources to support Learning During COVID-19
- Mathematics Resources to support Learning During COVID-19
Iowa Core Website:
Below (#1-5) are some virtual mathematics professional development opportunities you may wish to pass along to your teachers or any other colleagues who you think are interested.
1. Standards Mathematics Professional Learning
All the things educators want and need to know about the standards, instructional practices and materials.
Standards Professional Learning Opportunities in Mathematics – Access an informational document for free professional learning around the mathematics standards. Individuals can choose to complete the modules as a course for one license renewal credit.
- Course with all modules for one license renewal credit
- Individual Modules – (no cost)
2. NCTM National Council Teachers of Mathematics
100 Days of Professional Learning – in lieu of their annual conference that was cancelled due to COVID-19.
Taking Action: Bringing the Effective Teaching Practices to Life in your Classroom Virtual Workshop – in lieu of a regional conference due to COVID-19.
3. Early Numeracy and Number Sense
Professional Learning the Statewide Mathematics Leadership Team has attended.
4. NCSM National Council of Supervisors of Mathematics
This was held in lieu of their national conference due to COVID-19. Many Iowa teachers, coaches and leaders attended live. Thank you for sending emails and letting me know that you found it valuable. We are hoping the videos and slide-decks will be posted soon.
5. Iowa Math Chats
State Supervisor of Mathematics
Grimes State Office Building